WASH Officer - Sanitation Marketing - Urban WASH Project
WASH Officer - Sanitation Marketing - Urban WASH Project
Duration of Employment: 1 Year
Duty Station: Freetown
Number of post: 1 (one)
The purpose of Sanitation Marketing officer position is to implement the Sanitation Marketing pilot project planned under the Urban WASH Programme implemented as part of the Freetown WASH Consortium (alongside Oxfam, ACF and Save the Children). This programme will be implemented from November 2016 to March 2019 in the Western Area Urban and Rural districts.
S/he will ensure the delivery of the Sanitation Marketing pilot project in line with the agreed strategy and plans. S/he will be in charge of the development of the project strategy, the development of sanitation products and marketing strategy, the capacity building of local entrepreneurs, the monitoring of their performance, as well as the implementation of the VSL&A approach. S/he will also be requested to support other WASH officers in the facilitation of workshops or trainings if necessary.
The responsibilities of the WASH officer are to:
Programme design and planning
- In close collaboration with the WASH Deputy Manager, participate in the development of annual, monthly and weekly activity plans for the Urban WASH programme.
- Be responsible for developping detail workplans (annual, monthly and weekly) specific to the Sanitation Marketing pilot project to be approved by the WASH Deputy Manager.
- Support the visit of a consultant in charge of designing the implementation strategy of the pilot project by facilitating interviews with key informants, focus group discussions at community level or workshop with key stakeholders and by participating to any field assessment requested by the consultant.
- Participate in field assessments and needs identification surveys that may be requested for the developpement of new project proposals.
- Liaise with the relevant community stakeholders to get their approuval and support on the Sanitation Marketing pilot project to be conducted in their respective city section.
- Participate in the designs of ToRs and other documentation (SRs, float request, training curriculum...) for a programmatic and logistical preparation of the Sanitation Marketing field activities such as trainings, workshops, marketing campaigns etc.
- In charge of the development of sanitation products through participatory workshops and trials
- Support the development of small business and entrepreneurs to produce and market sanitation products for purchase by households through the facilitation of technical and buisiness development trainings to local mason/entrepreneurs.
- Stimulate demand for the sanitary products through the implementation of the marketing strategy including the design of I.E.C/marketing materials, the design of a catalogue of products, the construction of exhibition latrines etc.
- Implement the VSL&A approach with women groups in order to increase the financial capacity of poor household to afford the sanitation products.
- Liaise closely with the WASH hardware team, BCC officer and the other WASH officers throughout planning, design and implementation stages to ensure that the Sanitation Marketing project is well integrated in the Urban WASH programme and to encourage positive interractions with the other components of the programme.
- Ensure that all financial and logistical paperwork are properly filled (such as attendance list, payement receipt etc.), when facilitating trainings and workshops related to the Sanitation Marketing project.
- In case of emergency (such as cholera or Ebola outbreaks, floods. Etc) actively participate in the response carried out by the WASH programme. The WASH officer will be expected to participate in need assements at community level, distributions of NFIs or any other form of emergency response (for instance water trucking).
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Under the leadership of the WASH deputy Manager, participate in the design and developpement of a monitoring system for measuring the results of Sanitation Marketing pilot project (records of sales, users satisfaction etc.)
- Participate in the developpement of M&E tools (questionnaires, check lists etc.) and their testing on the fields
- Conduct monthly monitoring visit to the local entrepreneurs and the VSL&A groups supported by the Sanitation Marketing project in order to measure their performance and to provide technical support if necessary.
- The Sanitation Marketing officer may be requested to conduct monthly monitoring visits to the WMTs and other community groups supported by the Urban WASH programme in order to collect quality data on their performance and to provide technical support to the team members.
Coordination and Representation
- Participate to Sanitation Sub-group meetings to be chaired by Oxfam upon the request of the WASH Deputy Manager
- Liaise with the different Ministries (for instance MoHS) and local governement bodies (FCC, WARDC etc.) in order to get approval and support to the Sanitation Marketing project and to shared the lessons learnt and good practices.
- Report the main outputs and key decisions made during external meetings to the WASH deputy Manager on a timely and appropriate manner.
Reporting and documentation
- Participate to the writing of monthly activity report (SITREP) through the timely submission of activities up-date to the WASH Deputy Manager.
- Actively participate in the production of donors and annual reports by giving updates and inputs to the WASH deputy Manager in a timely and accurate manner.
- Actively participate in the documentation of good practices in the WASH programme throught the production of activity reports/ progress report as per agreed template.
- Complete any reasonable task requested by the WASH Deputy Manager.
Diploma in Marketing/business development
Diploma in community development or public health will also be accepted
- Minimum 2 years experience in community development/WASH/Health related programmes or business development project
- Previous experience in Sanitation Marketing project will be a strong asset
- Demonstrate competency in building capacity of community groups and conducting promotional campaigns
- Training and competence in group facilitation
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Good communication skills
- Good observation skills
- Good interpersonal skills
Concern values efficiency, competence and integrity, and hire staff with suitable qualifications without distinction as to race, colour, religion, national origin, tribe, gender or age.
- We encourage all qualified women and men to apply for vacancies in Concern Worldwide.
- Concern seeks to build the capacity of its staff and provide prospect for progression within the organisation.
Any offer of employment with Concern Sierra Leone is subject to a Terrorism Clearance Check being conducted on the applicant. The check will be conducted from lists being generated by the European Union, The United Nations and the US Government.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply with:
- An application letter clearly justifying how you meet the selection criteria.
- Recent Curriculum Vitae including names and full contact addresses of three referees, one of whom must be their current or most recent employer. Candidates must state the position of each referee and his/her relationship to the candidate.
- A copy of a valid Labour Card must be attached to ALL applications (written or electronic).
Applications should be either sent through email or by hard copy to the following addresses.
You can send through email toinfo.sl@Concern.netOR deliver in Hard copy to the below locations.
The HR Manager, Concern Worldwide, 23A Cantonment Road, Off Kingharman Road, Freetown
The HR Manager, Concern Worldwide, 2B Shamel Street, Magburaka, Tonkolili.
Please mark your application as per the references stated in each position above (by email please put the reference in the SUBJECT heading).
Closing date for receipt of applications for the above vacanciesis on the 16th January, 2017
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
That a copy of the application letter (written or typed) must be sent to the NGO desk officer, Ministry Of Labour, New England or emailed to email@example.com
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***