Engineer – for Water and Sanitation/Hygiene Project
VSO Sierra Leone
Job Title: Engineer – for Water and Sanitation/Hygiene Project
Location: Freetown with frequent travel to all 13 districts of Sierra Leone
Programme Area: Health (Adolescents, Maternal, Child Health, WASH)
Report to : Project Manager – Saving Lives Project
Direct reports (Nos)
Salary Grade: Minimum annual basic SLL 56,350,000 + other benefits (cash and medical inclusive)
Start date : ASAP
Contract length: One year with possible extension depending on performance and availability of funding
Probation period: Six months
Sierra Leone country signature programme on health is an integrated strategy to reduce teenage pregnancy, maternal and neo-natal mortality but also to empower adolescents, their families and communities and to support informed health choices such as delaying first pregnancy and skilled attendance at delivery in Sierra Leone. The strategy is aligned with Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS) health sector priorities and post Ebola recovery plan. It aims to complement govt. and other health actor’s efforts to strengthen the health systems of Sierra Leone. VSO is one of the implementing partner of CHANGES Consortium and will be implementing Saving Lives Project supported by DFID. VSO will be scaling-up three key components of the project including Induction training of health workers; WASH facilities for government health facilities and community engagement through Male Led approach for women health.
The overall job purpose is to plan, coordinate, manage and monitor the WASH components for health facilities in Saving Lives Programme. Provide all technical, managerial and administrative support to partner in all the activities related to Saving Lives WASH. Monitor and review technical and financial WASH activities and report to Project Manager.
Qualification and experience (Essential)
Bachelor Degree or Post graduate Diploma in Civil engineering with at least 3-5 years’ experience in WASH infrastructure project especially in health facilities (tender procedure, design, planning, implementation, budgeting, reporting, evaluation and monitoring). Must be registered in home country and must possess strong written and spoken English language skills
A person with experience in managing infrastructure works, and in coordinating activities with partners and facilitating capacity building. Able to use AutoCAD and ArcGIS. Ability to travel across the country regularly for training, assessment, regular monitoring and evaluation. Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment. Ability to maintain performance expectations in psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources
Able to use a computer, with word-processing and spreadsheets, (e.g. Microsoft Office
This is a fast track project and person needs to be proactive and able to work under pressure of delivering results and maintaining quality.
VSO is an equal opportunity employer and provides good opportunity to its employee to grow in their career.
Key job responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation of the WASH component, providing technical guidance and oversight resulting in quality construction and materials supply
- Ensure that all project activities are in accordance with budgets available and being implemented on schedule.
- Take part in the strategic planning, scheduling, monitoring and assessments, and evaluation of the Wash project
- Liaise with UNICEF, Presidential Recovery Team, CSO partner, Consortium technical team, MoHS, DHMTs, MoWR and SALWACO to ensure coordination and cooperation in strengthening WASH services in health facilities.
- Ensure documentation of project progress is on-going and integrate sound M&E procedures in all aspects of the project.
- Creatively solve problems that arise with communities and local authorities in providing WASH solutions.
- Ensure that Wash activities are carried out in accordance with national quality, norms and standards provided
- Participate in the implementation of WASH needs assessments and assessment of WASH facilities to be rehabilitated and / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, household level questionnaires, focal group discussions, visits to facilities and sites.
- Participate in defining work specifications and quotation, and ensure the implementation and direct follow-up of activities related to the construction of WASH infrastructures in public institutions and communities, such as:
- Construction or rehabilitation of sanitation facilities (latrines, incinerator, refuse pit, soakage pit).
- Supervise construction or rehabilitation of drinking water infrastructures (hand dug well wells, boreholes, pipe network, reservoir, drinking water services) with partners.
- In the case work is subcontracted, ensure the quality and pace of the work done by subcontractors, through field visit, site reports, and filling of monitoring sheets
- Ensure that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works are carried out according to quality standards established by VSO through quality checklists
- Weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed...)
- Weekly (or each time necessary) written and oral report for line manager,
- Work with other team members of the consortium (WASH and non-WASH) working in the same communities, to ensure the integration and complementarity of the different sector of the intervention.
- Ensure the integration of aspect related to gender, child protection, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the implementation of WASH activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, elderly and disabled people
How to apply
Please send your application in prescribed guidance to the Hiring Manager, VSO and email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by COB 16th of January 2017 by or can drop hard copies at VSO, 192 – Upper Kandeh Drive (Near ECO Bank) Off Wilkinson Road, Freetown.
The covering letter and resume should not be more than 3 pages. Please do not send any certificates or attachments.
One page covering letter should outline your suitability for this job and 2 page CV should give details of your education, professional experience, core competencies and job history in brief.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***