WASH Programme Manager
GOAL Sierra Leone invites applications from qualified and interested members of staff and the public to fill the under mentioned vacant position:
WASH Programme Manager
Type of work: 70% office, 30% field based
Reporting to: Area Coordinator
Contract length: 6 months
General Description of Programme:
GOAL has been operational in Sierra Leone for 16 years with current programming in Freetown Western Area, Kenema, Bo, Bonthe, Bombali, Port Loko and Kambia Districts. The GOAL Sierra Leone country programme contributes to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of multi-sectorial, integrated programmes. The SL programmes specifically focus on systems strengthening and community level behaviour change programming, targeting improved maternal & child health through nutrition and hygiene, sanitation and water activities as well as child protection and empowerment interventions.
In Kenema, GOAL has been implementing a WASH programme for the past five years. This programme constructs or rehabilitates gravity flow systems, protected hand dug wells and uses the Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach to promote sustainable sanitation solutions for approximately 710 rural communities. GOAL wishes to expand the programme to increase access to urban water and sanitation services.
Research into urban water operations and maintenance (O&M) and sanitation marketing is currently underway and will inform the design of interventions that will use a market systems approach. For O&M this will include: water infrastructure, water point maintenance and repair services, water point management and fees, water vending, spare part supply chain, regulation and Business Development services (BDS) to include financial services and marketing. The sanitation programme may include product development and testing, distribution systems and BDS.
Main purpose of the role
The purpose of this position is to provide overall leadership to an urban water and sanitation intervention in Kenema City, that takes a market systems approach and works with all the permanent players i.e. government, communities and private sector players, to stimulate sustainable access to water and sanitation services.
Overall Project Management
- To lead a team to update the ongoing context analysis and mapping of the water and sanitation system and identification of key players within the systems.
- To identify opportunities for public private partnership, pilot, fail quickly or bring to scale
- Design, document and update a project portfolio based on an excellent understanding of a changing context and players
- To effectively manage all external bodies (consultants) assigned to the initiative for quality and value for money.
- Provide strong leadership and represent GOAL in appropriate coordination meetings
Adaptive monitoring, evaluation and learning
- To work with the M&E team to put in place monitoring indicators to be able to manage initiatives adaptively. Identify quickly where progress is stalling, initiate new research to adapt approach, or make recommendation to end intervention or bring initiatives to scale.
- Ensure accurate data collection, management, storage and reporting
- Produce short case studies on successes as well as failures.
- Responsible for overall timely budget management including monitoring the budget to ensure that spending is in line with adaptive plans.
- Responsible for overall timely management of procurement and logistical in accordance with GOAL procedures and policies
- To ensure that all team members and external bodies represent GOAL in accordance with the GOAL code of conduct.
- Ensure transparent recruitment and effective management of team members.
- Lead by example and positively support an adaptive management approach, incentivizing those who identify constraints and bring adaptive solutions.
- Ensure all team members have SMART appraisal objectives and monitor and feedback regularly.
- Develop retention strategies and invest in team members who excel.
Reporting / fund raising
- Responsible for quality report development and timely submission
- Support the development of quality evidence based new funding applications
Working with the key players
- Liaise with Kenema City Council, Water Directorate, The Sierra Leone Water Company (SALWACO) and the District Health Management Team (DHMT) to map the systems and identify opportunities and constraints to improving water and sanitation services.
- Identify and stimulate governments mandated role in the provision of water and sanitation services.
- Based on sound research of the context, development and implement (adaptively), initiatives which raise demand for water and sanitation services.
Private sector players
- Develop relationships with private sector players (O&M, sanitation marketing, MNOs, financial service providers, etc), identify opportunities and align incentives to stimulate sustainable access to services
- Strong senior project management experience (At least 5 years)
- Degree in a relevant subject area e.g. Business related, Public Health, Environmental science etc.
- Experience in private, public partnerships
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Experience in business development services, including finance and marketing
- Experience in managing peri / urban WASH interventions
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviewed.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies.
GOAL Sierra Leone is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications together with an updated CV with names, addresses and contact telephone numbers or e-mail addresses of three referees should be sent to the following people not later than 4:30pm on Thursdaythe 27thApril, 2017. (Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible, this means that applications will be reviewed as they are received; interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible)
Human Resources Coordinator, GOAL Sierra Leone, 89s Main Road, Congo Town, Freetown.
Administrative Assistant, East Base, GOAL Sierra Leone, 5 Davies Street Brima Lane, Freetown.
Human Resources Officer, GOAL Sierra Leone, 2 Mariama Wai Street off Turay Street, Kenema. Email: email@example.com
Human Resources Officer, GOAL Sierra Leone, Cess Villa, Off Bundu Conteh Street New York Section, Makeni. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Base Manager, GOAL Office Bo, 174 Bo Taima Highway
Project Administrator, EBOVAC Project Office, SLMB Road Kambia 1.
Human Resources Officer, GOAL Sierra Leone, 22 Petifu Road Kambia.Email: email@example.com
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***