CARE Sierra Leone is looking for a suitable, qualified and interested member of staff and the public to fill the under mentioned vacant position.
Department : Program
Reporting to : Livelihood Advisor
Location : Kenema
Closing Date : Monday 1st May, 2017 at 17:00 hrs.
The Project Manager will have overall responsibility for the implementation of activities in Sierra Leone and Liberia in line with the approved design, and in compliance with the donor requirements. She/He will be required to liaise with donor other implementing partners and National and District government agencies, Research Institutions and Universities, and government ministries such as MAFFS, FDA and MRU. The post will be based in CARE SL office, with occasional trips to the field project sites in both SL and Liberia. He/she will report to the Livelihood Advisor and coordinate with the program support unit: Logistics, ICT, Admin and Finance to ensure a smooth and coordinated approach to project implementation. He/she will represent CARE in coordination meetings with Implementing partners, National and District Authorities of both Sla and Liberia.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility # 1: Project Management
- Overall responsible and accountable to CARE for proper management and coordination Project as per approved design, workplan and budget and in accordance to CARE Policies and guidelines.
- Promote good stewardship and high accountability through efficient and economical utilization of resources in the project.
- Lead, motivate and ensure teamwork among project staff for greater impact in the community.
- Supervise, liaise closely with and provide the necessary advice and program support in all matters pertaining to the effective management and implementation of the project activities.
- Ensure adequate monitoring and reporting of progress of project activities according to approved budget and workplan
- Ensure all project personnel understand and carry out their duties in accordance with CARE core values, the Code of Conduct and SPHERE standards.
- Conduct performance appraisals of project staff if and as required, ensure regular feedback and mentoring on individual performance.
- Ensure all stakeholders are kept informed about project plans, progress reports, and other significant developments.
- Work with the Project Sector Team Leaders and CARE Senior Management Team and relevant technical advisors to ensure high quality programming, with periodic design/ redesign of interventions based on lessons learned;
- Ensure accurate plans and budgets are prepared in suitable formats, up to date, and according to CARE and donor requirements;
- Ensure accurate and timely project progress and financial reporting to donor according to standards and guidelines.
- Overseeing and accompanying field visits by donor staff to project sites.
Job Responsibility # 2: Coordination, Collaboration and Networking
- Coordinate with Senior Management team and the program support unit (Administration, Logistics, Finance, ICT, etc) and all administrative actions necessary to the targets and expected outputs of the project in a timely and efficient manner.
- Work in close coordination with IPs in all aspects of project implementation.
- Establish and maintain linkages and foster good working relations with the District Council Authorities and relevant line Ministries, NGOs, Private sector and other stakeholders in both SL and Liberia
- Actively participate and represent CARE in Regional as well as National level forum and coordination with relevant stakeholders most especially the MRU;
- Participate in multi-sector workshops with other IP’s, NGOs and government agencies for information sharing, coordination and synergy.
- Facilitate linkage/partnerships of IPs with other institutions (NGOs, Universities/Research Institutions, Government agencies) and Private sector.
Job Responsibility # 3: Monitoring & Evaluation, Documentation and Reporting
- Ensure high quality monitoring and evaluation of the project and generation of quality periodic reports, stories of change, field observation reports and case studies in line with CARE and donor guidelines, providing support as appropriate, and share these as appropriate;
- Prepare regular narrative reports and oversee financial reports in line with CARE and donor requirements;
- Document and advocate on policy demands related to biodiversity conservation, climate change and sustainable livelihoods.
Job Responsibility # 4: Managing People and Coordination of Activities
Manage performance of the Sector Team leaders and MEAL Coordinator, and indirectly that of the Field Agents, providing the coaching and mentoring support needed to improve their performance.
Effective coordination of project staff and partners to ensure structures work effectively;
Undertake other tasks and responsibilities related to above as required by the Project Manager.
- More than 5 years experience in managing and implementing biodiversity conservation or agriculture and livelihoods projects with International NGOs in long term development settings.
- Familiarity with the rural and community context of Sierra Leone and Liberia.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent coordination, negotiation and facilitation skills
- Excellent communication skills in English and local dialect in the Eastern districts
- Knowledge of community forestry and biodiversity conservation techniques
- Knowledge and skills in participatory rural appraisal tools, conducting needs assessments and community planning.
- Computer and MS Office skills
- Good knowledge of gender mainstreaming and humanitarian standards/ policies: SPHERE, HAP and Do No Harm.
- Good report writing skills in English.
Freedom to Act/ Impact
Please indicate the level of responsibility / contribution
PRIME (takes full and total responsibility
CONTRIBUTORY (provides support and contributes to the overall success
ANCILLARY (provides support but contributes indirectly to the overall success
Applications with most recent curriculum vitae and names and email addresses of three referees, one of which should be your previous supervisor and should reach the following people not later than Monday 1st May, 2017 at 17:00 hrs.
- The CAREER’s website –web page
- The Human Resources Manager, CARE Office, 13 Bath Street, Brookfields – by hand delivery
- Or send by email to: Hortense.Kessambo@care.org
Please include contact telephone number(s). And it’s a must for all applicants to apply by attaching a copy of the employment registration card issued by the Ministry of Employment, Social Security and Industrial Relation (commonly known as Ministry of Labour).
CARE International in Sierra Leone provides equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate in employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, tribe, gender or age.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***