Do you think that you are innovative and pro-active?
- Are you different or extraordinary than others?
- Do you want to make a big impact on development work as a Finance Controllerin Sierra Leone?
Finance Controller (1 position)-Makeni
If yes, we have an exciting and challenging opportunity for you. Come forward and take the challenge.
We are World Hope International Sierra Leone, and have been working in Sierra Leone since 1997. We are a Christian relief and development non-governmental organization (NGO) working with vulnerable and exploited communities to alleviate poverty, suffering and injustice through agriculture, education, enterprise and community health.
Currently, we are looking to recruit for the following position: Finance Controller (1 position)-Makeni - Who will be working with World Hope International Sierra Leone team in Makeni and Freetown to achieve the following below:
The Controller is responsible for the effectiveness of the accounting operations of the Sierra Leone country offices to include the production of monthly financial reports for leadership and budget holders, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, a comprehensive set of internal controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhances the accuracy of the country office’s reported financial results, ensures compliance with accounting and procurement policies/procedures, oversees grant compliance including procurement documentation, grant accounting and audits. This responsibility includes all accounting functions, management information systems, compliance with all relevant regulations, financial expertise, effective management of WHI’s financial resources, and supervision of internal cost control procedures. This position works with the US-based Chief Financial Officer and reports to the Sierra Leone Country Office Director.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that World Hope Sierra Leone accounting and financial management information systems are carried out to the highest possible standards and in line with the best practices available.
- Ensures that Sierra Leone country offices comply with all regulations, legal and tax requirements, grant requirements and best practices in respect of the conduct of its financial affairs and to ensure compliance with best accounting practices in all accounting matters.
- Oversees general cost accounting and grant accounting. Oversees the maintenance of accounting records, and other related duties in daily administration of the finance/accounting department.
- Works with Grant Accountant, Sierra Leone staff and CFO to prepare, track and analyze budgets, prepare financial reports, and make recommendations to HQ on budget expenditures.
- Works with the CFO on the development of the annual budget for the Sierra Leone country offices and programs advising the CFO and Country Director on financial strategies.
- Ensures financial management system compliance with all donor rules and regulations.
- Audits procurement functions for acquisition of goods, works and services in compliance with WHI Policies & Procedures and donor rules and regulations.
- Oversees the accounting staff in the maintenance of the general ledger to include the preparation of journal entries, coding of invoices, accounts analysis and balance sheet account reconciliations, and closing books monthly for submission to headquarters. This would include reviewing and approving every transaction for propriety, supporting documentation and accurate coding.
- Reports on actual performance compared to the budget with commentary and revised projections on a monthly basis to the CFO and Country Director for all activities and grants.
- Evaluates reports and expenses to determine compliance with government grants and other donor terms and regulations.
- Oversees all audits that occur in Sierra Leone.
- Serves and cooperates with Program Managers at headquarters and in Sierra Leone. Helps them and their staff receive the financial information they need. Respond to inquiries regarding finances, budgets and grant requirements.
- Participates in the recruitment process for all in county accounting staff andestablishes work plans and annual performance goals for each team member, ensuring timely and quality execution of group deliverables.
- Provides oversight and training to the World Hope accountants working in Liberia.
- Undertakes any other duties as appropriate to the post and delegated by the Chief Financial Officer and the Country Director.
- Maintains and keeps updated Sierra Leone Finance Manual, including a summarized and simplified finance and logistics manual for use by project managers and other field based staff.
Formulates and updates accounting/budgeting policies and procedures in cooperation with the CFO and the Country Director in accordance with organizational policies.
- Provides technical assistance to the program staff and sub-grantees, providing leadership on sub-grantee financial monitoring in accordance with grant requirements.
- Reviews financial reporting to donors and other regulatory bodies, adhering to strict deadlines.
Prepares and/or supports the CFO in preparing financial reports for government grants, leadership and budget holders, plus other donors and in creating invoices for reimbursement.
- Oversees and ensures appropriate cash management procedures, including cash counts and transfers to field sites in cooperation with program staff, are in place and operating effectively and works with the Country Director in preparing wire requests for headquarters and assists with the disbursement of funds.
- Plan, organize, distribute, and coordinate work flow; supervise, and oversee training and capacity building of finance staff, guide, and advise staff.
- Provide support to the HR Manager on personnel and staff issues which have financial implications.
- Clearly articulate risks, issues and lessons learned with appropriate senior management.
- Work collaboratively with WHI Country Director Sierra Leone and WHI home office staff.
Education/Experience/ Knowledge & Desirables:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting (required)
- Full accounting qualifications - Master’s Degree, a CPA, ACCA or other internationally recognized accounting qualifications is preferable
Job related Experience and Knowledge
- Competent with Microsoft Office applications and highly technical skills with Excel
- Competent with QuickBooks
- Competency with Acumatica, is desired
- Possesses excellent communication, language (both written and oral) and management skills.
- Be willing to travel up to 30% of the time in Africa and to the United States.
- Has at least eight years of prior financial management experience in a recognized organization.
- Proven financial, management skills, inter-personal skills and team building skills, i.e. with ability to coach, mentor, supervise and work well in a team
- Experience in review and development of financial systems, risk management, and capacity building of staff, partners and other key stakeholders.
- Experience in grant financial management with partners, sub-grantee and a range of stakeholders.
Planning and Organising
Problem Solving and Decision Making
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in employment regardless of race, sex, colour, religion, national origin, tribe, gender or age. Deadline for applications is on 2nd May 2017. Only short listed applicants will be contacted for interviews.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply with:
- An application letter clearly justifying how they meet the selection criteria, and
- Recent Curriculum Vitae including names and full contact details of three referees, one of whom must be current or most recent employer. Candidates must state the position of each referee and his/her relationship to the candidate.
Applications should be either sent through email to the following email address: email@example.com with the following reference on the subjectcolumn :( ‘Ref: WHISL/HRA/MK/FC/007/2017’) Or You can also send hard copy of your application with envelope mark :( ‘Ref: WHISL/HRA/MK/FC/007/2017’) to;
The Human Resources/Administration Manager
World Hope International- Sierra Leone
2 UN Drive, Off Wilkinson Road, Freetown or 3 Sylvanus Street, Makeni, Bombali District, Sierra Leone.
PLEASE NOTE THAT A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION LETTER (written or typed) MUST BE SENT TO THE NGO DESK OFFICER, MINISTRY OF LABOUR, NEW ENGLAND OR EMAILED TO firstname.lastname@example.org. A PHOTOCOPY OF A VALID LABOUR CARD SHOULD BE ATTACHED TO ALL APPLICATIONS (written or electronic).
Also note that as all referees will be contacted; please ensure that contact details are up to date and that referees are aware that they will be contacted. Candidates must give full details of how they can be contacted as World Hope International Sierra Leone will accept no responsibility if it is not able to contact a candidate for interview.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***