Innovative Human Resource and/or Marketing Specialist
Short-term consultancy to develop a rapid training and selection programme
Freetown, Sierra Leone
Duration: 3-4 weeks
Expected start date: May 2017
About the project
Sierra Leone Opportunities for Business Action (SOBA) private sector development programmethat is funded by DFID and implemented by Adam Smith International. SOBA uses a market systems approach to facilitate economic growth in Sierra Leone. The programme collaborates with a breadth of businesses to trial and to scale innovative and inclusive business practices that reduce poverty and improve economic opportunities and outcomes for poor women and men.
Starting and growing a business in Sierra Leone is challenging. Entrepreneurs face a number of obstacles, including limited access to capital, talent, and marketing and finance services. SOBA’s Business Innovation Hub (BI Hub) aims to address some of the constraints in the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and improve performance of the market to allow existing businesses to grow, and attract new entrepreneurs. One of the strategies of the BI Hub is to work with professional service providers to strengthen and promote support services for small and growing enterprises (SGBs).
Through interaction with key stakeholders in the marketing industry in Sierra Leone, the BI Hub identified talent acquisition and development to be a major challenge. There is a large talent gap for skilled marketeers, which forces many firms to rely on foreign talent, thereby increasing costs and lead time significantly. Furthermore, university degrees and training certificates tend to be poor indicators of the potential of candidates in Sierra Leone.
About the role
SOBA is looking to hire a short-term consultant to lead the development of a rapid training and selection programme for the marketing industry: “Marketing Bootcamp”. Marketing bootcamp would entail intensive training on marketing as well as general professional skills whilst putting trainees through an vetting process to identify top talent. Through skills tests and assessments, participants are evaluated throughout the programme and only the best talent will complete the full duration of the bootcamp. Graduates of the program will go on to be placed at corporations or marketing firms in Sierra Leone.
Design the “Marketing Bootcamp” rapid training & selection programme:
- Liaise with local stakeholders to obtain input for the development of the programme and ensure local context fit
- Design application process and selection criteria
- Develop or select training materials, including modules on marketing skills and general business and workplace skills.
- Materials may be delivered via a mix of in-person or online channels.
- Training program should combine quick lessons, practical exercises, and motivational content
- Focus is on hard marketing skills needed to execute on marketing strategies: marketing research, graphic design, (social) media management, project management
- Develop assessment tools and skills tests to guide the vetting process
- Background in human resources, training, or marketing
- Experience designing and developingtraining and selection programmes
- Understanding of digital curriculum and assessment tools
- Good understanding of marketing tools and concepts
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa
- Interest and passion for designing innovative educational solutions
How to apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply soon for early consideration. The deadline for applications is 27 April 2017, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. To apply, submit a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Training and selection expert” in the subject line.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***