Save the Children is a leading international child rights-based organisation, which puts the reality of children’s lives at the heart of everything it does. Together with children, we are helping to build a better world for present and future generations by making a reality of children’s rights.
No. of person – 1 (One)
Location – Western Area, (12 months)
The Area Manager – Western will be responsible for the Western Areas of Operations which comprises Western Urban District (Freetown) and Western Rural District, where we implement health/WASH, child protection, education and child poverty programmes.
The Area Manager is responsible for the effective management oversight of implementation of Save the Children’s programme plans across the Western Urban and Rural districts, through direct and partner led activities. The post holder will firmly institute finance, human resources, logistics and operations systems in the area of operation and will ensure effective representation of Save the Children to external stakeholders including local authorities. The post holder will play a key role in building capacity at field level, and in the effective management of Save the Children programmes to increase impact and enable positive change for children. The Area Manager will identify needs and resources and elaborate program recommendations, in line with Save the Children’s national and global priorities.
This role reports to the Director of Programme Operations. Three positions currently report to this role (Field Manager Freetown, Finance Officer Tombo, Western Area Logistics Coordinator and HR Tombo
- Manage all programmes in the designated area of Sierra Leone, develop award action plans (implementation plans, spend plans, procurement plans, risk register, monitoring and evaluation plan), assess progress of implementation of activities against plans on monthly basis, and document the progress and action corrective measures as and when required. Take the lead in demonstrating practices for quality program implementation;
- Ensure programs are implemented in ways responsive to the communities, and children in line with Save the Children principles, values and strategic plan and following Save the Children and donor compliance procedures. This includes working with government and national NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity
- Ensure the effective management of multi-base awards;
- Oversee partner relationships for SCI funded projects implemented in the area of responsibility, ensuring delivery on all partner contracts and provision of support to the partner by the SC team;
- Ensure that partnership projects and reports are delivered according to Save the Children and donor contractual requirements, within the agreed timescale and budget;
Effectively uses support services (logistics, admin, HR, finance) to undertake key activities and work alongside Technical
- Advisors to ensure that all programme activities run smoothly;
- Work with the Director of Programme Operations and the Programme Development and Quality to support the development of Save the Children’s overall programme strategy in Sierra Leone, including a master budget;
- Serve as overall budget holder for the Western areas of operation; manage and support budget holders for individual projects and awards;
- Track budget spending and ensure timely reviews of financial transactions and budget consumption every month;
- Ensure that all projects have clear indicators aligned with SC global standards, useful and accurate baseline data and staff friendly reporting formats in coordination with the MEAL team;
- Ensure on-time, high quality donor and internal reporting
- Ensure that all projects and programmes have appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems established (including impact evaluation), and that award documentation is comprehensive (electronic and hard copy);
- Ensure that country strategy and the annual country plans are implemented and reviewed in line with the regional and global strategies;
- Maintain clear overview of the political, legal and security context and how changes and developments may affect the programme implementation and ensure this is communicated regularly to the SMT;
- Ensure appropriate participation of staff in programme management and decision making, escalating issues to the Senior Management Team.
- Assist in the development of security procedures and protocols for the area of operation and ensure the understanding and strict compliance of staff at all times;
- Work alongside the Logistics team to manage logistics processes to procure, store and distribute stock, supplies and services for the timely delivery of project objectives within the field base or area;
- Oversee the effective management of the two field bases, guest houses, vehicles and other assets including adherence of staff to SCI policies and guidelines;
- Ensure effective and proactive risk management;
- Support external Save the Children visitors to the field offices and programmes;
- Ensure compliance across the offices with Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to Child Safeguarding policy, Code of Conduct, and Fraud and Dishonesty policy, Gender, Diversity and non-discrimination, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies;
- Ensure all necessary preparedness activities are undertaken so as to position SC to be able to respond in a timely manner to a humanitarian crisis, including dissemination of the country wide emergency preparedness plan.
Programme Design and Development
- Participate in the conceptualizing and designing of cost effective, innovative and high quality programs to serve difficult to reach children in the area of operation in line with SC national, regional and global priorities;
- In close coordination with Project Managers, Technical Advisors and the Director of Program Design and Quality, improve the quality of programming that shows impact on the situation of children;
- Help respond to opportunities to expand programmes/impact. Help draft/develop concept papers and proposals with staff, Programme Managers, and other Technical Advisors as requested;
- Help staff build on synergies among and across all projects;
- Support the development/evolution of existing programmes, with the aim of ensuring that staff has the capacity to support others (local partners and government counterparts) in the implementation of quality programmes that show impact and prioritize sustainability (exit strategies);
- Support staff in the preparation and implementation of advocacy plans as related to their programmes in consultation with the advocacy team;
- Ensure that programme learning is built into the programme cycle and shared with the technical advisors, implementation team and SMT.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
- Ensure with support from the HR team and DPO, the appropriate staffing of the Area programme offices, planning and implementing specific actions to recruit, manage and motivate staff in the Area offices as per SC standards and procedures;
- Manage, mentor and motivate direct reports to undertake their roles and responsibilities effectively;
- Ensure that Area staff have clearly defined objectives, understand their responsibilities and receive meaningful feedback on their performance. Ensure compliance with Performance Management systems and evaluations. Document performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans.
- Incorporate staff development strategies into the team building process and ensure staff are able to perform the duties expected. Identify coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities.
- Ensure that Save the Children's work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and take a leadership role within Interagency Coordination forums, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed;
- To identify opportunities and material to contribute to communications and media work, acting as a spokesperson when required;
- Participate in the Extended Senior Management Team meetings to represent the area of operation.
- Deputise for the DPO and FM Tombo as necessary
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure the security, health and wellbeing of staff and that staff management and other processes and policies and systems reflect SC's principles of equity and fairness.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years management experience working in emergency response contexts or development
- Education to BSc level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience is essential
- MSc/MA/level training is an added advantage
- Previous experience of managing a team, and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Significant experience of project management, including multi sector programmes, from a child rights approach in accordance with the CRC and international humanitarian rights standards
- Solid experience in award management including significant budget management experience including institutional donors
- Operational management experience, including logistics management (procurement, supply chain, fleet management, asset management and IT) and Safety and Security management
- Field level representation with key stakeholders and co-ordination with other NGOs/UN
- Demonstrable experience of M&E and beneficiary accountability
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, with good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- ECHO,DFID, USAID, OFDA programme management experience
- Media trained.
Information you need to know before you apply:
- Applicants should address their applications to the HR/Admin manager, Save the Children, 5H Old Railway Line, Tengbeh Town, Freetown or 8 Beudu Road, Kailahun Town and send a copy of their application addressed to the NGO Desk Officer, Ministry of Labour, New England, Freetown.
- Please indicate on the envelop which location you are applying for as started below.
- Applications can be hand-delivered to the addresses above or sent by email to email@example.com
- Applicants should attach a copy of a valid Labour Card to their applications.
- Applicants should collect the Job Description & Child Safeguarding Policy from the nearest Save the Children office from Monday to Friday between 0900hrs and 1700hrs
- CLOSING DATE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS IS1st June, 2017.
Please note: Before applying, please read the Job Profile, ensuring you meet the Essential Criteria
Recruitment and selection procedures and checks reflect our commitment to protect children from abuse. Save the Children aims to be an equal opportunities employer
Physically Challenged and Women are highly encouraged to apply.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***