Education Project Officer – School Me
Education Project Officer – School Me
Child Protection level– 3
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Closing date:12th December 2017
To find out more about this job, please download the job description below
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are seeking competent, reliable and self-motivated individuals to contribute to our Global Priorities by joining us in our Sierra Leone Country Officeto ensure the delivery of high quality project activities in the target communities with a focus on building the capacity of Save the Children staff and key institutions with which SC collaborates, including both government and non-government agencies and organizations to ensure project quality and sustainability.
In this role, you will work closely with the Education Programme Managerin Tombo- Western Rural and will be responsible for project planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, reports writing and the education needs assessment in Tombo- Western Rural district. She/he will be responsible for managing the Assistant Education Programme Officers and/or partners. The Education Programme Officer will report to the Programme Manager in Tombo- Western Rural.
The position will be based in Tombo- Western Rural Field office with a frequent visit to the villages and project sites.
In order to be successful in this role, you should have previous experienceinworking with program manager, partners and team to design the overall strategy of education projects that is informed by information gathered, lessons learnt from other projects, project analysis and case studies.You should have strong knowledgein education and the ability to engage effectively with people at all levels from different cultures.
- Holder of BSc in Education and/or at least 2 years formal or non-formal teaching experience.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Support training tool development and capacity strengthening of Assistant Education Programme staff in programming.
- The Education Programme Officer will be responsible for overseeing all education and youth empowerment activities and work with partners closely in Tombo- Western Rural and ensure implementation of education projects with highest quality possible.
- Participate in relevant trainings organized by Save the Children to become technically equipped to implement the education program.
- Facilitate training workshops to teachers, School Management Committee Members and other stakeholders as relevant, in collaboration with the MEST District Office
- Carry out occasional and joint classroom observation together with MEST officials and APOS following the teacher workshops and provide feedback to teachers (holding one to one conversations and focus group discussions with them) to support them to implement active teaching and learning methods
- Oversee organization of education campaigns, community mobilization/sensitization and awareness raising through various media, including the radio, working with partners, communities, SMCs and teachers.
- Work with others to encourage meaningful participation of children in all aspects of education projects implemented in Tombo- Western Rural district and document programme learning.
- Support the Programme Manager in writing reports for donors to be submitted to Education Programme Adviser in Freetown
- Coordinate relevant activities with Child Protection and Health Programme Officers to strengthen programme integration across sectors.
- Work closely with the Logistics team and PM in order to ensure appropriate and timely procurement and delivery of relevant education materials for schools and education authorities supported by SC in Tombo- Western Rural District.
- Conduct regular one to one meeting with the Assistant Education Programme Officers which are documented and biannual Performance reviews which are shared with the Education Programme Manager and HR
- Line manage Assistant Education Officers, providing them with the necessary technical and management support as well as capacity building opportunities so that they can carry out their work to a high standard while complying with SC policies
- Work with the M&E officer to collate all data collected from the programme activities by the Assistant Education Programme Officers and submit to Programme Manager on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the development of CASH forecasts (to be shared with the Education Programme Manager) and update the weekly cash need request as appropriate.
- Undertake any additional tasks or responsibilities requested by the Education Programme Manager
- Fluent in Krio
- University Degree in Education, Social Sciences, Development studies or any other relevant field.
- In cooperation with Education Program Manager, Education Adviser and the Learning and Development team, identify local NGOs and develop partnership with these as well as capacity development plan.
- Build technical and management capacity of the partners
- Strengthen monitoring, accountability, learning and documentation of the partnership work
- Develop and maintain good relationships with current and potential civil society partners
- Support capacity development of civil society partners in generic issues such as planning, monitoring, reporting, accountability and advocacy
- Act as partnership focal point for SC Education programme
- Ensure that the programme Manager is kept informed of the development of the education programme in Tombo- Western Rural district.
- Ensure Save the Children Child Protection Policy and other policies are understood by staff/partners within the Education Programme Team in Tombo- Western Rural and that they are integrated into all aspects of the team’s work.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
- Ensure that all activities are carried out without putting children at risk of abuse, harm or exploitation
- Carry out work in a spirit of openness, transparency and collaboration
- Integrate gender-sensitive and inclusive approaches into all programming, ensuring that activities promote girls’ participation in a way that does not put them at risk and that children with disabilities are included in an appropriate way.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, fraud, Code of Conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
- SCI Safeguarding Policy Statement; we need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children.
- Candidates should possess Social Security Numbers (NASSIT)
- SCI maintains zero tolerance to dual employment.
- Reference and Security clearance checks will be conducted.
- Candidates must possess a valid driving license for positions related to field activities.
- Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document including your current remuneration and salary expectations for this role.
- Applicants should address their applications to the HR/Admin Manager, Save the Children, 55 Sir Samuel Lewis Road, Aberdeen, Freetown or 8 Beudu Road, Kailahun Town and send a copy of their application addressed to the NGO Desk Officer, Ministry of Labour & Social Security, New England, Freetown.
- Applicants should attach a copy of a valid Labour Card to their applications
- Applicants should collect a copy of our Child Safeguarding & Code of Conduct policies from the nearest Save the Children office from Monday to Friday between 0900hrs and 1700hrs.
- Please indicate on the envelop position applied for and job location as stated on the advert.
- Applications can be hand-delivered to the addresses above or send by email to email@example.com
Please read the job profile, ensure you meet the Essential Criteria before applying. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and questions about the post will be answered during the interviews.
SCI AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PERSON WITH DISABILITIES AND WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. Please note that Save the Children do not charge fees for recruitment, kindly call our toll-free fraud/general Feedback Line 922 (same number for Airtel and Africell) for complains.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***