Type of position:
Personal Service Contractor (PSC)
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Programming and Training Manager
The mission of Peace Corps worldwide is to promote peace and friendship. Peace Corps was invited to Sierra Leone in 1961. Hundreds of Peace Corps Volunteers have worked as teachers and health workers in Sierra Leone since then. The work of a Peace Corps Contractor does not limit itself to the role: active support of the Peace Corps mission is paramount to the job because contractors are representatives of Peace Corps in Sierra Leone.
The Community Liaison is an official representative for Peace Corps and is responsible for advancing Peace Corps Sierra Leone’s community-based interventions. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Programming and Training Manager and in collaboration with programming, training, administrative, safety and medical staff to ensure a productive, safe work environment for Peace Corps Volunteers in their communities. This position provides oversight and logistical support to staff and Volunteers.
Site Identification /Preparation:
- Plans and design the overall Peace Corps Sierra Leone site preparation strategy
- Plans and designs the site identification in coordination with Program Managers
- Plans, designs and communicates the site preparation strategy to all stakeholders: internally and externally
- Participates actively in site identification and preparation
- Ensures quality Volunteers’ sites documentations (site files)
- Ensures all Volunteers’ site files have been approved by the appropriate staff members
- Takes the lead on the site housing upgrading follow up
- Provides support as needed to Program Managersfor site placement
- Coordinates with the Program Managers to lead/facilitate site announcement
- Travels as per request throughout the country to establish and maintain effective working relationships with local community members and officials.
- Provides advice and assistance to Volunteers and their counterparts/supervisors in order to promote good working relationships.
- Visits and observes Volunteers ‘classrooms and provides constructive classroom management feedback as per request
- Facilitates sustainable working relationship between Volunteers, health centers and community health centers
- Assist PCVs’ in building collaborative partnerships with government authorities, community groups, and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs.)
- Addresses Volunteer safety and security by adhering to Peace Corps policies and procedures.
- Communicates Volunteer safety and security concerns and issues to the Program Managers, Safety and Security Manager (SSM) and the Country Director (CD).
- Serves as community liaison between Peace Corps and the communities also between Volunteers and the communities.
- Identifies and/or helps identify Volunteers ‘Community Integration Facilitator(CIF)
- Coordinates with the Training Manager to train the CIFs
- Acts as official PC Sierra Leone representative and liaison person with administrative and local authorities and communities.
- Coordinates with Program Managers to facilitate Ministry visits
- Works with programming and training and administrative staff members to assure appropriate budgets and expenditures.
- Assists with the preparation of the Integrated Programming and Budget Submission (IPBS) and participates in other strategic planning activities as indicated by the PTM.
- Provides support to the Language and Cross Culture Coordinator for host families identification/preparation as per request
- Other duties as assigned.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Every individual with any involvement in the operations of Peace Corps Sierra Leone, whether U.S. Direct Hire, U.S. Personal Services Contractor, Foreign Service National, Foreign Service Personal Services Contractor or Volunteer / Trainee has duties and responsibilities directly and/or indirectly associated with Safety and Security. These duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Awareness and understanding of all directives of Peace Corps regarding Safety and Security.
- Awareness and understanding of emergency procedures at both home and office.
- Awareness and understanding of duties associated with the Peace Corps Sierra Leone Emergency Action Plan.
- Availability, at both home and office, of staff and Volunteer contact phone numbers and / or email addresses in case the stated individual is directed to establish emergency contact and provide emergency information.
- May be required to courier cash and/or purchase orders to various vendors who furnish supplies and/or services
- Maintains current knowledge of the PC Office evacuation Plan, the PC Emergency Action Plan and how to use fire extinguisher in order to ensure adequate level of safety and support for Peace Corps/Sierra Leone Volunteers.
- Ensure complete confidentiality regarding all information related to Peace Corps staff, volunteers and Peace Corps/Sierra Leone operations.
- The Contractor is subject to worldwide availability and may be requested by the Peace Corps to be reassigned or transferred permanently to another Peace Corps Post/Headquarters or perform temporary duties (TDY) as required and to travel to other assignments within Peace Corps’ as assigned. Any such reassignment or transfer shall be subject to agreement of the Contractor. The Statement of Work as defined will remain the same; however the duties may be subject to change as determined by the Contracting Officer.
- This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. “Duties may be subject to change as determined by the Contracting Officer.’’
6. Logistics& Level of Effort
- The position is currently located at the Peace Corps/Sierra Leone office in Freetown
- Work environment can be in the Freetown office or upcountry
- The incumbent must be available for after-hours assignments and responding to emergencies.
- The incumbent performs duties during a 40 hour work week. The incumbent may be required to work in the evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Master’s Degree in education or health related development field
- 10 years of teaching experience
- 5 years working at the community level engaging in community development activities
- 5 years of program or project management experience
- Experience working with the Government of Sierra Leone at all levels
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Higher Teachers Certificate (in Integrated Science, English and Math)
- Fluent in Krio, Mende, Temne, Limba, Madingo, Fula, Susu, Kono, Loko
- Demonstrated accounting or small commerce experience
- Demonstrated experience with a USG organization
- Proven ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work in a supportive team environment which respects intercultural behavior and ensures constructive feedback from all stakeholders
How to Apply
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
Candidates need to send an updated CV via email to: email@example.com