Construction and Wash Coordinator
Construction and Wash Coordinator
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Closing date: 25th May 2018
To find out more about this job, please download the job description at https://sierraleone.savethechildren.net
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are seeking competent, reliable and self-motivated individuals to contribute to our Global Priorities by joining us in our Sierra Leone Country Office to ensure the delivery of high quality project activities in the target communities with a focus on building the capacity of Save the Children staff and key institutions with which SC collaborates, including both government and non-government agencies and organizations to ensure project quality and sustainability.
In this role, you will work closely with the Project Manager Michael Edwards Phase V to provide technical support to the construction component of the Michael Edwards grant civil work in Kailahun District, Eastern part of Sierra Leone, with particular emphasis on technical guideline and national standards for the construction of Schools and Health Facilities. Additionally expected to strengthen of the Construction component and team, particularly the mode and mechanism of monitoring and supervision of the civil work in the respective project locations and support the Project lead/s on the successful, quality and timely completion of construction activities. The Construction and WaSH Coordinator will as well support technical infrastructural assessment and proposal writing. The post holder will be expected to mentor and/or build capacity of hired contractors/partners on how to do a better civil work following technical guidelines.
- In order to be successful in this role, you should have previous experience of working in construction components and strong knowledge in engineering, architecture or construction and ability to engage effectively with people at all levels from different cultures.
Child Protection level - 3 the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Higher national diploma or Bachelors in engineering, architecture or construction-related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A minimum three (3) years’ experience of working in construction components.
- Experience of the humanitarian or NGO context is beneficial
- Good problem solving skills under challenging circumstances
- Commercial and construction industry awareness
- Good team working, communication skills and spoken English
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, REVET or similar drafting application
- Good IT skills, including MS Excel and Word
- Excellent communication and influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
Contract length: 12 months
- SCI Safeguarding Policy Statement; we need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children.
- Candidates should possess Social Security Numbers (NASSIT)
- SCI maintains zero tolerance to dual employment.
- Reference and Security clearance checks will be conducted.
- Candidates must possess a valid driving license for positions related to field activities.
- Please apply in English using your CV and covering letter as a single document including your current remuneration and salary expectations for this role.
- Applicants should address their applications to the HR/Admin Manager, Save the Children, 55 Sir Samuel Lewis Road, Aberdeen, Freetown or 117 Mano Sewalu Road, Masanta Section, Kailahun Town and send a copy of their application addressed to the NGO Desk Officer, Ministry of Labour & Social Security, New England, Freetown.
- Applications can be hand-delivered to the addresses above or send by email to: email@example.com
- Applicants should attach a copy of a valid Labour Card to their applications
- Applicants should collect a copy of our Child Safeguarding & Code of Conduct policies from the nearest Save the Children office from Monday to Thursday between 0900hrs and 1700hrs and from 0900hrs – 1400hrs on Friday
- Please indicate on the envelop position applied for and job location as stated on the advert.
- Please read the job profile, ensure you meet the Essential Criteria before applying. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and questions about the post will be answered during the interviews.
SCI AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PERSON WITH DISABILITIES AND WOMEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. Please note that Save the Children do not charge fees for recruitment, kindly call our toll-free fraud/general Feedback Line 922 (same number for Airtel and Africell) for complains.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***