WASH Programme Manager
EXTERNAL/INTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
GOAL Sierra Leone invites applications from suitably qualified and interested members of staff and the public to fill the under mentioned vacant position
WASH Programme Manager
Number of person: 1 person
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Area Coordinator Kenema, Technical report to WASH Coordinator
General overview of the programme
GOAL is an international humanitarian agency, currently operating in 13 countries worldwide, dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest of the poor. We are a non-denominational, non-governmental and non-political organisation. For more information on GOAL and its operations please visit www.goalglobal.org.
GOAL has a 19-year presence in Sierra Leone (SL) with activities in Freetown Western Area, Kenema and Kambia Districts. The GOAL Sierra Leone programme contributes to poverty and vulnerability reduction through the implementation of multi-sectorial, integrated programmes. The SL programmes specifically focus on systems strengthening and community level behaviour change programming, targeting improved maternal & child health through hygiene, sanitation and water activities as well as child protection and empowerment interventions.
In Kenema, GOAL has been implementing a WASH programme since 2008. Previously this programme focused on the construction and rehabilitation of gravity water systems and protected hand dug wells and used the Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach to promote sustainable sanitation solutions for rural communities.
Currently the WASH programme includes a large programme that is addressing the lack of year round water sources in rural Kenema through construction of new boreholes and the rehabilitation of hand dug wells. The programme is working on behavioral change aimed at promoting household sanitation and improved hygiene practices in the home and in the community.
GOAL is also currently in the process of transitioning its approach to some areas of WASH that will use a market systems approach. This approach is being used to address operation and maintenance (O&M) of rural water points and sanitation marketing to promote the construction and use of household toilets. Research is currently underway in both of these areas to determine the proposed intervention, but the project will likely involve working with the private sector, the local government and the communities to create and supply demand. This is an exciting time to be joining the WASH programme in Kenema as there are a mix of activities and new programmes will be coming soon.
The WASH Programme Manager is responsible for leading and supervising the WASH team which currently comprises 10 staff but will soon be increasing. The WASH Programme Manager is directly responsible for the implementation of all WASH activities in Kenema and ensures quality and maintains close relationships with key partners and stakeholders. Core responsibilities include:
- Manage the implementation of all WASH activities in Kenema, including construction of new water points, behavioural change activities, and pilot projects in Sanitation Marketing and O&M,
- Report directly to the Area Coordinator in Kenema and technically report to the WASH Coordinator based in Freetown on all programme and budgets
- Foster and maintain a strong working relationship with the key government partners in the District Health Management Team (DHMT) and the Water Directorate (WD)
- Responsible for budget management of all WASH activities in Kenema
- Ensure that all activities are implemented on time, are completed to a high quality and that all guidelines and appropriate standards are followed
- Develop a programme plan, ensure its smooth implementation, and manage the team’s performance of project tasks and activities that may include, but are not limited to: behavioral change activities, borehole construction, hand dug well rehabilitations, sanitation marketing, operation and maintenance of rural water points, business development with the private sector, and working with the local government
- Responsible for overall timely budget management including preparation of monthly forecasts, and monitoring of expenditures.
- Develop a behavioral change strategy and approach for all activities together with other stakeholders and GOAL’s Global Technical team.
- Coordinate with other programmes, notably the Health Programme, to ensure a common approach, synergy and sharing of information
- Provide strong leadership and represent GOAL in appropriate coordination meetings with external partners
Staff Management and Development
- Manage the WASH team and provide technical support, training and capacity building
- Lead by example and positively support an adaptive management approach, incentivizing those who identify constraints and bring adaptive solutions.
- Ensure all team members have SMART appraisal objectives and monitor and provide feedback regularly.
- Develop retention strategies and invest in team members who excel.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- To work with the MEAL team to put in place monitoring indicators to be able to manage initiatives adaptively. Identify quickly where progress is stalling, initiate new research to adapt approach, or make recommendation to end intervention or bring initiatives to scale.
- Ensure accurate and timely data collection, management, storage and reporting
- Produce short case studies on successes as well as failures.
Reporting / New Proposal Development
- Responsible for quality programme reports and timely submission
- Contribute to all grant reporting as well as GOAL’s own internal reporting
- Support the development of quality evidence based new funding applications and proposals
Working with the key players
- Liaise with Kenema City Council, Kenema District Council, Water Directorate and the District Health Management Team (DHMT) on all projects including sanitation marketing and operation and maintenance of water points.
- Help Identify and stimulate governments mandated role in the provision of water and sanitation services.
Any other duties assigned by the research team
- Degree in WASH related studies (Civil or Environmental Engineering, Public Health, Environmental Science, etc.)
- 3-5 years of management experience in WASH programmes
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft packages, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience designing behavioural change approaches
- Ability to work under pressure and to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent planning skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work under own initiative.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible, culturally sensitive.
- Ability to speak one of the local languages in Kenema
- Master’s Degree in relevant subject
- Familiarity with GIS, data analysis software and water modeling software
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Please note: this will reflect our selection process.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance.
GOAL Sierra Leone is an equal opportunity employer. Women and Persons with Disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
Cover/motivation letter together with an updated CV with names, addresses and contact telephone numbers or e-mail addresses of three referees should be sent to the following people not later than 4:30pm on Tuesday 26th June, 2018. (Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible, this means that applications will be reviewed as they are received; interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible)
Human Resources Coordinator, GOAL Sierra Leone, The Maze, Off King Street, Freetown. Email: email@example.com
Human Resources Officer, GOAL Sierra Leone, Mariama Street, Kenema. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Officer, GOAL Sierra Leone, 22 Petifu Road Kambia. Email: email@example.com
Applicants should attached a copy of a valid Labour Card to their Applications.
***Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***