SOS Children's Villages Sierra Leone was established in 1974 (the village in Freetown being the second oldest in Africa), we work with partners in communities to help families care for their children or to provide an alternative, for instance an SOS family, in which the love of a Care Giver is essential.
Located in Freetown, Bo and Makeni, SOS Children's Villages Sierra Leone has a wide range of programmes (Children's villages, youth facilities, educational facilities, clinics) which supports more than 4,199 children in accessing and exercising their rights.
In addition to quality care, we seek to provide quality education to all the children through our Herman Gmeiner International Schools and Kindergartens through specialized agencies and service providers. Through our SOS CV Hermann Gmeiner International College, SOS Children’s Villages Sierra Leone is looking to recruit qualified candidates for the position of Senior Accountant.
Reports to: Financial Controller
Location: National Office
Supervises: Accounts Clerk and the Accountant from different locations
Work closely with the Financial Controller to ensure that all financial issues are addressed in conformity with the Minimum Standards and Organizations policies. The Senior Accountant is responsible to ensure that all accountants in the different projects are well supervised.
Cooperation and Reporting Relationships
Works closely with the Accountants in all projects to ensure that Finance policies and procedures are followed and implemented.
Priority tasks & responsibilities
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analysing account information.
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions; resolving discrepancies.
- Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts; preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Summarizes financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss, and other statements.
- Produces payroll by initiating computer processing; printing checks, verifying finished product. Completes external audit by analysing and scheduling general ledger accounts; providing information for auditors.
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements.
- Secures financial information by completing database backups.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
This job description outlines only the general scope of activity and the basic task and responsibilities associated with this position. It may be supplemented with a more detailed definition of tasks, responsibilities and work-plan and is subject to change at the discretion of the Direct Superior.
QUALIFICATIONS , EXPERIENCE & SKILLS NEED FOR THIS JOB
- A very good Degree in Accounting, /or Professional qualifications (AAT, CAT,) /Part Qualified Accountant.
- At least four year’s INGOs experience especially in complex budget setting
- Proven experience to help facilitate a smooth audit process and work efficiently with external auditors
- Proven skills on managing changes, achieving results, ensuring quality, team building and capacity building.
- Strong computer skills,
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure as part of a professional team.
- Team leader and team player; should possess strong commitment to team dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and exercise leadership at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including cultural sensitivity, assertiveness and negotiating skills.
- Willingness to travel to field offices regularly
- Experience of working in a busy INGO environment preferably outside of own country.
- Attractive Salary
- A supportive team working environment
- Opportunity to work for a well-respected and recognised NGO
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
To apply submit a letter of interest, with Curriculum Vitae, photocopy of certificates, and three (3) professional references with at least one (1) from a direct supervisor, by email only to email@example.com
Closing date for the submission of applications is 14th November, 2018
Only the successful candidates will be contacted.
In accordance with the organisation’s child protection policy, all employment is subject to applicable background checks, including criminal record checks.
What We Stand For:
SOS Children’s Villages is committed to creating and maintaining a caring and protective environment, which promotes its core values, and prevents and addresses child abuse and exploitation. We strongly condemn all forms of child abuse and exploitation, be it within or outside of our organisation, and always respond to any case of proven, alleged or attempted abuse within our sphere of influence according to its nature. Efforts ensure that mechanisms are in place to raise awareness, aid prevention, encourage reporting and ease response. They range from human resource development actions such as training and counselling to measures such as suspension, dismissal, and legal action.
**Please indicate in your application that you saw this advertisement on the Careers.sl Platform***